Board Member - Den Black
- Published: Saturday, 09 October 2010 12:43
Employer info: Delphi Thermal, Lockport NY
Service dates: 1964 - 2001 36.4 Years
Dennis Black completed an illustrious career with General Motors and Delphi Automotive Corporation. He began his career as a General Motors Institute Co-Op Student with the General Motors Frigidaire Division. Subsequently, Mr. Black held a multitude of assignments that included:
Product Design / Development Engineer
Advanced Product Design Engineer
Engineering Test Laboratory Supervisor
- Superintendent for Divisional Test Operations
- Engineering Design Supervisor - Current A/C Compressor Products
- Manufacturing Manager - A/C Compressor Products
- Leadership for two major Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Divisional Technology Planner
- Chief Engineer - HVAC Business Unit
- Chief Engineer - A/C Compressor Business Unit
- Chief Engineer - Advanced Global HVAC Products and
- Senior Strategist / Futurist / Innovator for Delphi Thermal Division
Mr. Black has a total of six Patents, and is the inventor of the World's First Variable Stroke A/C Compressor for Automotive Applications. This product is currently in mass production at Delphi Thermal's Global Manufacturing Facilities in Dayton, Ohio, Japan, Korea and France.
In recognition of his various creative achievements, Mr. Black has received a variety of prestigious awards which include:
- The General Motors "Boss Kettering" Award for significant inventions
- Charter Membership in the Delphi Automotive "Innovator's Hall of Fame"
- Three General Motors Extraordinary Accomplishment Awards
- The General Motors Institute Engineering Achievement Award
Mr. Black has a BSME Degree from General Motors Institute, a MSME Degree from Purdue University, an MBA Degree from the University of Dayton as well as continuing studies in the fields of Management Science, Statistics, Strategic Planning, Futures Studies and the Masters Program in Creative Studies offered by Buffalo State University.